It is a requirement of European Legislation to have your festival glass stamped with the CE mark (government stamp), for any glasses that are being used in licensed establishments, such as bars, pubs, restaurants, beer festivals etc. This ensures that you are serving the correct measured amount and complies with laws on the service of alcohol.

The CE measurement mark can be to the brim or a line marked on the cup. The ‘M15’ states the year in which the CE mark was applied, for example at the time of writing this we are now on ‘M19’ for 2019. The 4 digit number is the registration number for the government body that verified the CE marking.

If you are using your glass as a measuring tool for serving alcohol (beers/ cider/ lager) you need a CE mark. If you are using the product at home or using an alternative measurement tool (that’s approved) then the glass doesn’t need a CE mark.

If you do not comply with the requirements as detailed in Regulations and Orders made under the Weights and Measures Act 1985 and the Licensing Act 2003 at your festival or event this could result in equipment being forfeited and prosecution. On conviction the courts may impose a fine of up to £2000. Breaches of licence conditions can lead to a licence review and revocation as well as a fine of up to £20,000.

Generally speaking if you are selling alcohol within the EU at a licensed festival event or stadium your cups need to be CE marked.